Advocacy Training and Medical Education: The CoFP
By Armide Storey, M2, Boston University School of Medicine As a medical student, it is easy to get bogged down in the every day. And it is easy, sometimes, to forget why I chose to become a doctor. For this I am most thankful for MSFC and the Conference on Family Planning. To be surrounded by peers who …
Are you a new MSFC student leader? Congratulations! Using MSFC resources you can begin educating your classmates about abortion and reproductive health topics missing in your school’s curriculum. Download our Event Planning Guide and browse through our list of event ideas:
- Host an Educational Event: Use our library of abortion, family planning, and reproductive health resources to organize your event. We have presentations, discussion guides, journal articles, info sheets, and more. Find our event resources here.
- Organize a Lecture or Panel: Experts in reproductive health are incredibly excited about Medical Students for Choice and are always looking for ways to help out! Contact [email protected] to access our directory of speakers. You may also contact Planned Parenthood, NARAL, or the ACLU to get locally relevant information on reproductive health topics.
- Screen a Film: MSFC Headquarters has an extensive catalog of abortion and family planning related videos available for free to screen at your school!
- Host a Skills Workshop: MSFC can provide your chapter with supplies for up to 50 students to participate in one of the following workshops. Contact [email protected] to place an order for supplies. There is no charge for ordering supplies.
- Manual Vacuum Aspiration (MVA) – MVA or papaya workshops allow students the opportunity to learn and practice MVA technique in a hands-on setting. Your chapter must obtain papayas (purchase them using student activism funding, your trust account, or look for in-kind donations from local grocery stores), and then submit a request to [email protected] for MVA supplies and presentation materials!
- IUD Insertion — Interested in practicing insertion on plastic uterine models? MSFC has training kits for copper and hormonal IUDs, as well as presentation resources to accompany the workshop.
- No-Scalpel Vasectomy — Host a NSV workshop using MSFC’s models, forceps, and educational resources to supplement the workshop.
- Special Event Funding: MSFC can offer special event funding for events that would require additional resources to be successful. These may be: large panels, special guest lecturers, collaborations between chapters, etc. To be considered for this funding please fill out the application and email it to [email protected] at least two months before your proposed event date.
If you have any questions, need help planning your event, or have had a great event you’d like to share with us, please contact MSFC Student Organizing. To access club funding, find our Reimbursement Form here.