Happy New Year?
…only the passing of time will answer that question. If you have become both obsessed and disgusted with political news, I share your pain. I desperately want to turn everything off, but I can’t help myself. There is a lot…a LOT…of work coming our way in the next few years. One of the reasons I …
New Student Leader for your school’s MSFC chapter? Congratulations!
Download the MSFC Student Leader Handbook. For more information and support getting your chapter up and running, please contact us. Here are some events you can try on your campus. Using our resources you can easily and immediately begin educating your classmates about any abortion and reproductive health topics missing in your school’s curriculum.
1. Organize a Lecture: Experts in reproductive health are incredibly excited about Medical Students for Choice and are always looking for ways to help out!
MSFC Headquarters has a comprehensive directory of speakers that students can contact for lecture purposes. Email MSFC HQ to find a speaker in your area who can address the topics that interest you. You may also contact Planned Parenthood, NARAL or ACLU to get locally relevant information on reproductive health topics.
Also be sure to look for lecture opportunities nearby. A popular faculty member can be a huge draw for audiences and it gives him or her the opportunity to share their passion for reproductive justice!
2. Create and show your own presentation: Build your own presentation with material from our resource library. We have gathered PowerPoint presentations, handouts and activities, based on constantly reviewed scientific data, for you to use in the creation of educational material.
3. Screen a Film: MSFC Headquarters has an extensive catalog of videos available free of charge to show classmates! Pop popcorn, sit back, and enjoy the education.
4. Host a Skills Workshop: Giving students an opportunity for hands-on skill building enables them to get involved in an interactive MSFC event with a tangible learning outcome.
- Manual Vacuum Aspiration (MVA)– Papaya workshops provide students with the perfect setting in which to learn and practice MVA technique in a hands-on setting. Hosting a workshop is as easy as obtaining papayas (purchase them using your Trust Account, SAF, or look for in-kind donations from local grocery stores), and asking Headquarters for MVA supplies and presentation materials!
- IUD Insertion— Interested in practicing insertion on plastic uterine models or on fruit? MSFC has training kits for copper and hormonal IUDs, as well as presentation resources to accompany the workshop.
- No-Scalpel Vasectomy—MSFC offers a kit of workshop supplies, demonstration materials, and educational resources to help you host an NSV workshop.
- Osteopathic Hands-on Manipulation for Post-abortive Pain—Resource available by request to MSFC HQ. Practice the OMM techniques using the instruction to gain hands-on experience.
For more information or to request supplies, please contact MSFC HQ.
5. Table at a recruitment fair or public event: If you want to share your enthusiasm for reproductive healthcare with others, you can use the MSFC Fact Sheet to help you get the word out. If you want additional flyers or materials for tabling, please contact [email protected] several weeks before the event.
If you have any questions, need help in planning and implementing your event, or have had a great event you’d like to share with us, please contact MSFC HQ.